About Dr. McDonnell
Dr. McDonnell is board certified in orthopaedic surgery. He obtained his medical degree from New Jersey Medical School in Newark, NJ, after completing his undergraduate degree at The College of New Jersey. He completed his internship and residency training in Orthopaedic Surgery at Brown University and Rhode Island Hospital in Providence, RI. Dr. McDonnell then completed a fellowship in Orthopaedic Trauma at Brown University followed by a fellowship in Spine Surgery at Rothman Institute and Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA.
Dr. McDonnell specializes in degenerative conditions and traumatic injuries of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine. He treats conditions such as stenosis, myelopathy, radiculopathy, disc herniation, spondylolisthesis and fractures of both the spine and the extremities.
He has an extensive bibliography of original papers, book chapters and abstracts and has presented both nationally and internationally.
- Fellowship trained in Spine Surgery and Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Served as Executive Chief Resident of the Orthopaedic Residency Program at Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital – 2011-2012
- Awarded the Haffenreffer House Staff Excellence Award at Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital – 2012
- Awarded the Lucas-Palumbo Spine Achievement Award at Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital – 2012
- Selected by his peers as Most Valuable Resident at Brown University – 2010
- Served as a member of the Graduate Medical Education Committee at Brown University/Rhode Island Hospital – 2010-2013
- Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, North American Spine Society, Cervical Spine Research Society, Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- Inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Has published numerous peer-reviewed articles, abstracts and chapters in the fields of Spine Surgery and Orthopaedic Trauma
Jersey Choice Top Doctors
Related News & Blogs
Presentations and Publications
- Seuffert P, Sagebien CA, McDonnell M, O’Hara DA. Evaluation of Osteoporosis Risk and Initiation of a Nurse Practitioner Intervention Program in an Orthopaedic Practice. Archives of Osteoporosis. 2016 Dec;11(1):10.
- Bateman D, McDonnell M, Kepler CK. Value and Cost Effectiveness of Common Spinal Surgical Procedures. Contemporary Spine Surgery. 2015, Sep:16(9):1-8.
- Borenstein TR, Cohen E, McDonnell M, Kamal RN, Hayda RA. Deltoid compartment syndrome after prolonged lateral decubitus positioning. JBJS Case Connect. 2015, May 27;5(2):e45.
- Hilibrand AS, McDonnell M. Commentary on: “Sagittal Alignment As a Predictor of Clinical Adjacent Segment Pathology requiring Surgery after Anterior Cervical Arthrodesis”. Spine J. 2014, Jul 1;14(7):1235-6.
- Bariteau JT, Waryasz GR, McDonnell M, Fischer SA, Hayda RA, Born CT. Fungal Osteomyelitis and Septic Arthritis. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014, June;22(6):390-401.
- Daniels AH, McDonnell M, Born CT, Hayda RA, Ehrlich MG, Trafton PG, Fischer SA, DiGiovanni CW. Critical analysis of a trauma fellowship modeled 6-year orthopaedic surgery training program. J Bone Joint Surg (Am). 2013, Aug 7;95(15):e1081-8.
- Thakur NA, McDonnell, M, Paller D, Palumbo M. Wound hematoma after anterior cervical spine surgery: in-vitro study of the pathophysiology of airway obstruction. Am J Orthop. 2013, June;42(6):E35-7.
- Daniels AH, Paller DJ, Koruprolu S, McDonnell M, Palumbo MA, Crisco JJ. Dynamic biomechanical examination of the lumbar spine with implanted total disc replacement (TDR) utilizing a pendulum testing system. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2012, Nov 1;37(23):E1438-43.
- Thakur NA, McDonnell M, Got CJ, Arcand N, Spratt KF, DiGiovanni CW. Injury patterns causing isolated foot compartment syndrome. J Bone Joint Surg (Am). 2012, June 6;94(11):1030-5.
- McDonnell M, Lucas P. Cervical spondylosis, stenosis and rheumatoid arthritis. Med Health R.I. 2012, April; 95(4): 105-9.
- Drolet BC, Spalluto LB, Zuckerman M, McDonnell M. New ACGME Rules for Supervision and Duty Hours: Resident Commentary. Med Health R.I. 2011, June; 94(6): 169-71.
- Liporace FA, Kinchelow T, Gupta S, Kubiak EN, McDonnell M. Mini fragment screw fixation of oblique metacarpal fractures: A biomechanical analysis of screw types and techniques. Hand. 2008, Dec; 3(4): 311-15.
- McDonnell M, Schachter AK, Phillips DP, Liporace FA. Acetabular fracture through the triradiate cartilage after low energy trauma. J Orthop Trauma. 2007; 21(7): 495-8.